Well, it was a cold day in the shop, sitting around -10c. I wanted to build a Burr puzzle that I had come across in a store and thought it would be a fun project to recreate using some scrap walnut.
After cleaning up the boards, I cut them into strips making sure to orient the grain for stability. Cutting the new boards into sections and gluing them I ended up with a sizable end grain cutting board.
After finishing the Walnut IQ Puzzle I had a number of small tools and pencils all over the bench. It was time to make a shop pencil holder!
I saw an old puzzle called “Original IQ puzzle” and figured it was simple enough that I could also build one. I bought some…
Before I worked as a programmer, I was a bike mechanic for many years. I ride about 20km a day commuting to and from work, I have ridden year-round for a few years now including those -30c days. Every year I have to replace the drive train and this year was no exception. You can see the terrible condition the chain and chainrings were in!
Last week my wife requested some wooden bowls for a market she was working. She sells custom-dyed yarn, project bags, and stitch markers. You can find her stuff here on her Etsy.
This was the first of about 5 that I made in around 2 hours, Checkout and follow me on Instagram for more up to date projects 🙂
I came across a hand full of test tubes ( new ) and thought that they would make an interesting vase. I took a very cupped piece of white oak and worked it flat and reasonably square.
I drilled 3 1″ holes into the block, gave it a quick sad up to 320 grit. I applied mineral oil and a Beeswax and mineral oil salad bowl finish.
Watch as I make a bottle opener out of an old rusty railroad spike!
The finish that I applied after cleaning the spike off is a pure beeswax. After heating the spike to a straw yellow I applied the beeswax and continued applying heat until the metal turned black.
Thanks, everyone for subscribing! The first 100 subscribers happened so much faster than I would have thought.
Yes, there is snow! This video was shot only a couple of weeks ago.
While out shopping with my wife I saw these succulents in the garden centre and bought a few. I then realized I had no place to keep them.
I took a scrap chunk of walnut and created a geometric shape by cutting a 5-degree angle on all edges.